Where Can You Purchase a County Animal License?
- In person at one of the three county animal shelters: Santa Barbara, Lompoc, or Santa Maria. We accept Visa, MasterCard, cash, check or money order made payable to SBCAS (Santa Barbara County Animal Services)
- Online – We accept Visa or MasterCard
- Download application form and mail to shelter
We accept check or money order made payable to SBCAS
- Check with your veterinarian to see if licenses are sold at their hospital –
Download list of veterinary hospitals that sell County Animal Licenses
Many animal owners do not realize that state and local laws require
- All dogs over 4 months to be licensed and to wear the license tag per state law
- All dogs over 4 months to be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian
- Unaltered cats over 6 months of age to be licensed in the unincorporated County, the City of Buellton, and the City of Solvang – No license is required for altered cats
- Unaltered Animal Licenses in the unincorporated County, the City of Buellton, City of Solvang, and the City of Goleta require a Veterinary Certificate
How to Get an Altered Animal License for a Dog
- Provide a current rabies certificate
- Provide written proof that the dog is spayed or neutered:
- A sterilization certificate from the veterinarian that performed the surgery or examined your pet to verify that the animal is altered
- A previous animal license receipt that has your pet listed as spayed or neutered
- A current rabies certificate indicating that the pet is altered
How to Get an Unaltered Animal License for a Dog or Cat
- Provide a current rabies certificate (only applies to dogs)
- Provide a Veterinary Certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian (applies to the unincorporated areas of the County, the City of Buellton, the City of Solvang, and the City of Goleta)
- A Veterinary Certificate is valid for either one year or the term of the license, whichever is longer
Where Can You Get Information on How to Purchase a City Animal License if You Are a Resident of the City of Carpinteria or Santa Barbara?
- City of Santa Barbara residents – go to www.petdata.com/for-pet-owners/sba/licenseinfo.htm
- City of Carpinteria residents – go to www.carpinteria.ca.us/communitydev/permits_animalinfo.shtml
How Much Does it Cost to Purchase a Santa Barbara County Animal License?
*requires signed Veterinary Certificate in Unincorporated areas, the City of Buellton, the City of Solvang, and the City of Goleta
Senior discount applies to persons 65 years or over. Provide date of birth.
How Can You Purchase a Designer Tag?
- Download Designer Tag form and mail it to your local shelter
- The double duty tag contains your personal information on the front and your pet’s license number on the back
What If You Adopted or Inherited an Already Licensed Pet?
- A County Animal License is not transferrable
- You will need to purchase a new animal license in your own name
What If You Received a Renewal Notice and No Longer Own the Animal or Your Pet is Deceased?
- Contact your local shelter in writing or by telephone so your records will be updated
An Animal License is Your Pet’s Ticket Home
- A dog license is more than a quick trip home for a lost pet
- County Animal Services can quickly reunite a lost animal with its family when the animal is wearing a license
- An animal license also makes a difference to the less fortunate animals in our community – Revenue from the sale of dog licenses helps Santa Barbara County Animal Services operate three open door shelters
- An animal license proves that you are a responsible pet owner and helps the animals at the shelters find loving homes